- A maximum of 12 learners in Grade 1 and 2, a maximum of 14 learners from Grade 3 to 7.
- A Whole Brain approach to academics.
- Experienced, highly qualified, empathetic and caring staff that are specifically trained in remedial teaching and learning barriers.
- A multi-disciplinary team, working in close liaison with the class teacher.
- A multi-sensory approach to learning.
- The recognition of different learning styles and brain preferences.
- Concessions for Grades 4-7 include: scribes, readers, visual aids, extra time, laptops, tablets, voice recording of lessons (optional and subject to application).
- Annual participation in the Conquesta Olympiad and the Metro North Education District Maths Competition.
- CAPS curriculum as per National standards. Lessons have been adapted to suit each learners' specific learning style.
Specialist Academic Support:
- Regular parent workshops.
- 6 week Perceptual Programme for all Grade 1 learners, which commences at the start of each new academic year.
- Brain profiling for all learners.
- Integration of Cognet thinking skills for all learners. (COGNET (Cognitive Enrichment Network Education Model) click here to read more)
- Language development and auditory processing in addition to the standard curriculum.
- Individual Support Plans for each learner, reviewed every 6 months.
- An all-inclusive reading, comprehension and vocabulary programme in addition to the standard curriculum.
- Bridging classes for Grade 4 learners.
- Support of specific barriers to learning by providing visual clues, as well as the aforementioned concessions.
- Integrated Team Boards (Interactive white boards) in all Intermediate Phase classes.
- Identifying brain profiles and promoting whole brain thinking. For more information please visit Whole Brain Thinking.
A Unique Discipline Programme:
- Monday Assemblies are dedicated to learners receiving certificates for non-academic achievements.
- A positive, solutions based discipline system.
- On-going recognition.
- Quarterly, individual goal setting and strategies.
- The goal for each learner is to come to the realisation that they are wonderfully unique and have a gift to offer the world
- To build character, integrity and responsibility through mentoring and leadership.
- Shelanti Enrichment Programme includes - Drama, Drumming Band, Vocal Group and MiniChessa and Marimbas
Physical Education training by Winning Ways Read more
- An integrated Visual Arts programme, focusing on teamwork and the building of self-confidence through the arts
- Celebrating special occasions and events on our Annual National calendar i.e. Arbour week, Water week, Bio-Diversity week and Spring day, Valentines Day picnic, Kindness Day to name a few.
- Annual VIP Day (Moms, Dads, Grandma's, Grandpa's, Uncles and Aunties! Anyone special is invited!
- Annual Art Exhibition
Aftercare and homework classes exclusive to Shelanti learners:
ABC tutors and Aftercare is a privately owned after school care facility, made available to our learners